She took a girls weekend and I started in on the typical "I'll fix THAT" mode. Found an OLD can of stain that barely gave up it's lid and I figured I had one chance at turning things black.
I like black, it's well, black, and you can't complain about the ole #3. And I sure as heck wasn't going to try to duplicate Gordon's Rainbow Warriors Paint Job. The better half wouldn't come home again.
But I digress... I "stained" the new miter saw station and unfortunately still had stain left and went looking for other places to waste the stain.
I saw the Incra TS-LS extension wing that is white. WHITE? Really? Come on... So we have the Sawstop ( Black, Red accents ), Incra TS-LS ( Gold rails, Red accents ), Extension ( White, gold accents ), and Incra Dust Sweep ( White and Red Accent ).
You know when you have that little person screaming at you inside your head, and you don't listen, things typically go sideways quickly. Yea, well, I didn't listen and I ended up with a mess.
|This is Art Right?|
"I just wanted to drain the swamp" was quoted to me a bit into this.
Let's just say that I learned a LOT about painting Melamine.
Things NOT to do:
* Stain ( It stuck fine, but had brush strokes and was flat ).
* Leave the heater running which kicks up dust.
* Only wait the minimum time to sand.
* Expect Gloss Black to hide ANYTHING.
* Ask the folks at the Big Orange store.
* Try to roll on Alkad Hybrid Paint.
Things to do:
* Sand the Melamine to at least 320 to ruff it up. 800grit will give you a really nice smooth finish.
* Wipe down really well
* Use a Tac Cloth and get everything off the surface.
* Turn off any air moving devices ( Heater, Air Filter, etc ).
* Use Krylon Fusion Spray Paint.
* Put down a light coat.
* Wait about 45-60sec and put down a heavier coat.
* Do another coat 90deg to the first but don't get it too heavy especially if there are vertical surfaces.
* Walk away slowly, don't look back, don't breathe on it, and don't make angry faces at it either whatever you do.
* Wait about 25min ( Depending on temp and humidity ) and put down another good coat.
|Rolled on the Orange store's recommendation. FAIL.|
|You realize how tough melamine is when you can sand and sand on it and it still stays nice. Back to white.|
|Looks pretty good until you get close and see all the dust and junk in it.|
|Finally got it to the point I'm 90% happy.|
Maybe Incra could just offer a black version???
Finishing touches might just be a big ole #3 in the middle!